The importance of drinking enough water daily cannot be stressed enough. Without water, your body will not function. Here are 15 reasons why you should keep your body hydrated:
- Keep a headache away – Most of the time, that throbbing headache is simply due to dehydration. Drink a glass of cold water and wait for a while before you decide to pop that painkiller in your mouth.
- Prevent joint pain – The most abundant component of cartilages in your joints is water. Hydrate often to ensure that your joints get all the lubrication they need and to keep your cartilages in tip-top shape.
- Maintain excellent kidneys – By drinking enough water, you can keep your risk of chronic kidney diseases low. It also helps prevent kidney stones from forming.
- Ward off depression – Did you know that dehydration can have a negative impact on your mood? Drinking enough water promotes better flow of oxygen, nutrients and hormones to the brain for a happier you.
- Promote weight loss – Water contains zero calories and fat. Drinking enough of it help you lose weight as it fills up your stomach and makes you eat less, thus allowing you to drop unwanted pounds.
- Speed up the metabolic rate – There are a handful of reasons why the metabolism slows down, and dehydration is one of them. Drinking a couple of glass of water helps speed up your metabolic rate by as much as 30%.
- Make skin look healthier and younger – Water is the cheapest beauty solution out there. Drinking enough of it makes your complexion glow and it also keeps those skin cells hydrated.
- Keep cancer at bay – According to various researches, staying hydrated may help reduce your risk of bladder cancer by 50% and colon cancer by 45%. Experts say that it may lower breast cancer risk too.
- Sweep out waste products in the GI tract – Drinking water helps in flushing out bacteria and waste products. Combined with a diet rich in fiber, it prevents constipation from bugging you.
- Workout better – Because dehydration causes muscle weakness, fatigue and cramps, it’s important to stay hydrated while exercising for superb performance.
- Strengthen the immune system – Everything in your body requires water in order to function properly, and that includes your immune system. Ward off infections and sicknesses by drinking enough water daily.
- Keep you awake – A great way to jumpstart your day is by having a glass of water. When feeling heavy-eyed at any time of the day, head to the water dispenser than the nearest coffee shop.
- Cure a nasty hangover – Alcohol can dehydrate the brain, which gives you a really terrible hangover the following day. No other homemade hangover remedy is as good as chugging water.
- Promote better digestion – Water helps break down food so that your body may absorb those nutrients better. Staying hydrated also helps promote regular bowel movement.
- Keep you alive – The human body is composed of at least 60% water. You can survive for weeks without food but without water, you are likely to perish in 3 days — a week tops.
So how much water you should drink daily? Some say you should have 8 8-oz glasses of it daily. Others say you should divide your body weight in pounds in half and drink that much water in ounces everyday. Take a look at your pee. If it’s darker than pale straw, you may not be drinking enough water.